While QR codes haven’t taken off as some might’ve hoped or wanted, nonetheless they’re still somewhat present in the real world and aren’t completely dead.
Luckily, with iOS 11, Apple has added support for scanning QR codes natively within the Camera app. Follow along as we walk you through how to scan QR codes with iOS 11 on an iPhone.
How to scan QR codes with iOS 11
- Head to Settings > Camera and toggle Scan QR Codes if it’s not already on.
- Then, open the Camera app.
- Once the Camera app is open, swipe over until you get into the photo mode and ensure that you are using the back facing camera.
- Hold your phone up to the QR code in question, and then wait a few seconds.
- You’ll now get a notification up top, letting you know that the QR code has been successfully scanned. Tapping the notification will open the contents of the QR code, if possible. For example, if it was a link to a website, it will fire up Safari, or if it was an App Store link, it will open the App Store page for the app.
Again, QR codes might not be as popular as some may make it out to be, but it’s still an option that hasn’t completely dug its grave yet. Apple’s adoption of it indicates that at least some users may find it useful.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- Apple Watch: How to change exercise goal
- Apple Watch: How to turn on and customize the flashlight
- iPhone: How to delete apps and set up automatic offloading
- Apple Watch: How to use Theater Mode
- iPhone: How to use a personal hotspot and change passwords
- Apple Watch: How to enable Water Lock mode
- Apple Watch: How to enable Power Reserve mode
- How to use swipe or glide typing on iPhone
- Apple Watch: How to enable Elevated Heart Rate notifications
- Apple Watch: How to change bands