Conventional wisdom tells you that every organization’s target audience gets a consistent dose of video content from YouTube. But, in reality, assuming your exact buyer persona frequents the video platform is a risky move to make.
To truly build a presence on YouTube, you need to know if your target audience actually watches content on the video platform. Otherwise, you could waste a ton of precious time and resources creating content that your buyer persona will never see.
If you want to avoid this mishap and make sure YouTube is a viable marketing channel for your brand, we’ve got you covered. Read on to learn about the video platform’s age, geography, gender, education, and household demographics.
2019 YouTube Demographics
YouTube Age Demographics
- Over 90% of 18-44 year old American internet users watch videos on YouTube.
- Over 80% of 45-64 year old American internet users watch videos on YouTube.
- Over half of American internet users who are aged 65 and over watch videos on YouTube.
- 59% of Generation Z (16-24-year-olds) have increased their YouTube usage since last year.
- 46% of millennials (25-34-year-olds) have increased their YouTube usage since last year.
- 70% of millennial YouTube users watched a YouTube video to learn how to do something new or learn about something they’re interested in.
YouTube Geography Demographics
- 15.5% of YouTube’s visitors are from the United States, 8.2% from India, 4.7% from Japan, 4.5% from Russia, and 3.4% from China. These are also the countries that YouTube attracts the most visitors from.
- YouTube is available in more than 91 countries.
- YouTube is available in 80 different languages.
YouTube Gender Demographics
YouTube Education Demographics
- YouTube users are more likely to have a college degree than the general population.
YouTube Household Demographics
- YouTube users are more likely to have children than non-users.